April through September is referred to as Home Improvement Time, and that may not be the first thing that comes to your mind when considering your efforts as a family caregiver, but it may be a valuable time for you and for your senior. Many elderly adults struggle with mobility issues and other challenges that can keep them from safely and independently enjoying an active and engaged lifestyle. This can be particularly true for the outside of their home. Making meaningful modifications to the outside areas of your parents’ home can encourage them to be more active, enjoy more time outside of the home. Not only can this help your parent to experience more activity and mental stimulation, but it can also make both of you feel more confident any time they are outside the home.
Some outdoor improvements to consider for your senior’s home include:
- Add a ramp. If your parent struggles with mobility issues, they might not be able to use stairs comfortably and safely. Adding a ramp provides an easier way to go up and down from their porch, whether they use a mobility aid or not
- Use a lift. If there is no space for a ramp or your parent would prefer a faster method, consider a lift. Similar to indoor chair lifts, these easily bring your parent up to the level of their porch with a mechanical platform
- Make clear walkways. Especially if your parent has a large yard with many features they like to enjoy, make sure there are clear, accessible walkways. These will make it easier for your parent to safely move around this space. Ensure pavers or bricks are placed securely and that there are no edges that could cause your parent to trip or fall
- Remove thick shrubbery. Large bushes and plants can be attractive, but they can also create potentially dangerous hazards for your loved one. Especially when they are close to the house, they can create areas where people and animals could hide. Trim hedges so they can be seen through or replace them with low plants such as flowers
If you have been trying to find ways to enhance your senior’s quality of life and help them to enjoy more independence as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider senior care for them. As a family caregiver, you want what’s best for your parent, and that means encouraging them to enjoy their best life. Integrating the personalized care of a senior home care services provider into their daily routine can allow your loved one to manage their health needs, stay safe and secure, and still pursue as much independence and activity as possible as they age in place. When it comes to helping your parent stay more active and independent in their own home, senior care can be a valuable way for them to manage mobility issues so they can take on more of their own tasks, enjoy their space, and feel safer on a daily basis.
If you or an aging loved-one is considering senior care in Torrance, CA please contact the caring staff at Around the Clock Home Services today at (310) 940-0191.
- Outdoor Improvements for Your Senior’s Home during Home Improvement Time - April 14, 2020
- COVID – Simple Tips to Make Sure Handwashing is Done Correctly - April 6, 2020
- Can You Learn to Anticipate What Might Be Headed Your Way? - March 31, 2020